Dirt has multiple benefits for many animals, including humans. However, the benefits can be different from species to species. If you are a horse owner or if you’ve ever been around a horse, you’ve probably seen them roll in the dirt. Here are 7 reasons why horses choose to roll in the dirt…
1. Prevent insects from biting– dirt creates a protective layer that keeps biting insects at bay.
2. Protection from the sun– a natural sunscreen, dirt creates a protective layer, which is especially good for lighter horse who are more prone to burn.
3. Irritation– when a saddle is removed from a horse they often roll from the irritation of it having been there.
4. Dry off– when a horse is sweaty or following a bath, a horse will roll to dry off.
5. Cool off– dirt helps keep horses cool in hot weather.
6. Help shed– if a horse is shedding, rolling can help in the process.
7. Healthy joints and back– rolling allows a horse to stretch their body in a different manner and to self adjust.
If you are a horse owner and are concerned about your horses health, please contact PetMedella at 612-812-9121 or email us at email@example.com