Pet Safety for the Holidays

Decorations are out, presents are being wrapped, treats are being prepared, the holidays are here! As we ready ourselves for the holidays, it is important to remember our four-legged friends, and ready their environment for the holidays as well. From plants to decorations to yummy treats; small, simple items could become a hazard for our pets.

1. Toxic Treats
Baked goods may contain ingredients that can greatly harm our pets. It’s important for pet owners to be aware of the following items: chocolate, xylitol, yeast, and some doughs. Chocolate is digested much slower in a dog’s digestive system, causing toxins to build up. When too much is consumed, it can be deadly to dogs. Xylitol, a sweetener, can be very toxic to both dogs and cats. Yeast and dough can create excess gas and digestive discomfort. Make sure treats are inaccessible to your fur family. Check out this article for a list of common food sensitivities that may be in your pet’s holiday treats.

2. Toxic Plants
Well known holiday plants can be toxic to pets. Holly, lily, mistletoe, poinsettia, and amaryllis should be kept out of your pet’s reach.

3. Toxic Decorations
There are a number of holiday decorations that should be avoided or kept away from pets. Some of these items include: candles, ornaments, pine needles, potpourri, tinsel, and lights. Lit candles could be a fire hazard if they are knock over by a pet. Make sure they are away from pets and extinguished before leaving home. Ornaments could cause digestive issues, toxicity, or injuries to the digestive tract. Ornaments that are small enough for your pet to consume should be kept out of reach. Pine needles are known to cause an upset stomach in pets. If you have a live tree, fallen pine needles should be swept up frequently. Potpourri can be a choking hazard to pet, and can lead to digestive upset. Tinsel can cause damage to a pet’s intestines if consumed. Due to the way in which the intestines contract as an object is moving down, tinsel can literally cut into the GI tract. If your pet is prone to chewing, lights and cords may be a hazard, and should be kept out of reach.

Interested in testing your pet for toxins and sensitivities? Try our full scan!

May you and your pet stay safe this holiday season!
Happy Holidays to All!




Disclaimer: These services are designed for educational purposes only and are not intended to serve as medical advice. The information provided on this site and in reports should not be used for diagnosing or treating any health problem or disease.  It is not a substitute for professional care.  If you have or suspect you may have a health problem or need medical attention, you should consult your healthcare provider. PetMedella is not responsible for the interpretation of results by any outside affiliates, practitioners or health coaches using this test.