Do you ever look at your pet and think they looked depressed? Just like their human companions, dogs, cats, horses, and many other animals, can dip into a state of depression. There are a number of reasons as to why a pet may become depressed, and it’s important to know what to look for, and how to address it naturally.
What Can Cause Depression in Pets?
– the loss of a loved one (human or fellow animal)
– the introduction of a new family member
– a new physical location (ex. new house)
2. Health Issues (when your pet physically doesn’t feel well)
3. Boredom (nothing to do, not exercised enough)
4. Being Left Alone (especially for long periods of time)
What to Look For?
1. Lack of energy
2. No interest in the things & activities they use to love
3. Loss of appetite and/or thirst
4. An overall sad appearance
5. Withdrawing self
Natural Remedies to Help Alleviate Depression
1. St. John’s Wort– an herb that helps improve depression & anxiety
2. Sandalwood– an essential oil that helps the body to relax
3. Gentain– a flower essence, or emotional remedy, that helps during times of loss or disinterest
4. Honeysuckle– a flower essence, or emotional remedy, that helps with depression due to a new situation or environment
5. Star of Bethlehem– a flower essence, or emotional remedy, that helps during times of shock, grief, or trauma
6. Mustard– a flower essence, or emotional remedy, that helps with depression caused for unknown reasons