Ear infections can be a common occurrence in both cats and dogs. Knowing what causes ear infections, and how they can be naturally remedied can save a lot of discomfort for your pet.
Causes of Ear Infections:
– Bacterial infection -Stress
– Weakened immune system – Ear mites
– Overuse of antibiotics
– Food & environmental sensitivities that lead to yeast infections
Signs of an Ear Infection:
– Excess ear wax – Ear sensitivity or pain
– Dizziness (may lead to vomiting) – Ear inflammation
– Excess scratching or shaking of the head – Unusual odor from the ear
Natural Remedies for Ear Infections:
1. Apple Cider Vinegar (ACV): If there is any broken skin near the ear, dilute the ACV in distilled water with a 1:1 ratio, otherwise the ACV can be used in the ear undiluted. Only use organic unpasteurized and unfiltered ACV. ACV is antibacterial, anti-fungal, and antiviral.
– To Use: Combine ACV with distilled water (if necessary). Put approximately 10 drops into the ear, and rub the ear in a circular motion.
2. Colloidal Silver: Colloidal silver is anti-fungal, antiseptic, and can be used as a disinfectant.
– To Use: Put approximately 10 drops into the ear, and rub the ear in a circular motion.
3. Calendula: Calendula can be mixed with warm distilled water to be safely used in your pet’s ear as an anti-fungal remedy.
– To Use: Mix 1 teaspoon of Calendula Herbal Tincture with 1 cup warm (not hot) distilled water and 1/2 teaspoon of sea salt. Put approximately 10 drops into the ear, and rub the ear in a circular motion.
4. Garlic Olive Oil: Garlic is antibacterial and anti-fungal. *Great for ear mites!
– To Use: Method 1: Heat 2 tablespoons of olive oil in a pan, and add 1 clove of garlic, minced. Keep on low heat for about 20 minutes. Remove the garlic and discard. Let the liquid cool to room temperature. Put approximately 10 drops into the ear, and rub the ear in a circular motion.
Method 2: Instead of heating the olive oil, simply add the minced garlic to the olive oil in a jar, and let sit for 2-3 hours. Remove the garlic and discard. Put approximately 10 drops into the ear, and rub the ear in a circular motion.
5. Oregon Grape: Oregon Grape is antimicrobial and anti-inflammatory. *Another great remedy for ear mites!
–To Use: Mix 1 teaspoon Oregon Grape Tincture with 1/2 cup warm (not hot) distilled water. Put approximately 10 drops into the ear, and rub the ear in a circular motion.
All of these remedies can also be used from time to time for cleaning and maintaining the health of your pet’s ears.
*Never apply any of these remedies if you think your pet may have a ruptured ear drum.
For more information on your pet’s health, and to find out if your pet is suffering from any type of stress in their ears, call PetMedella at 612-812-9121 to order a PetMedella Wellness Analysis Kit.